Thursday, July 10, 2008

Real Salt Lake vs. Santos Laguna

So RSL lost 4-1 to Santos last night. I think that is an okay result. I wasn't mad or anything that we lost because it gave fans and coaches the chance to see how reserve players have progressed. With that said, here is a few brief notes and ratings for each posistion:

Goal - Chris Seitz - 7 - played pretty well. I thought he was hesitant to come off his line sometimes. Had some really good saves. The goals that went in were great shots that any keeper would have had trouble with.

Defense - 5 - Woeful. Possibly the worst defense all year. I think a combination of factors played into this one. I think they did to us what we want to do to other teams - that is play a long ball over the top to Findley and have him juke his defender to be one on one with the goalie. The own goal looked like it took a bad deflection off our player. In the second half, I couldn't tell if Wingert or Beltran was playing on the right side, it looked like they kept switching. I think we were slower than their guys so they made us pay for it. I didn't like how whenever one of our defenders got the ball, they would send it back to Seitz.

Midfield - 6 - Also Woeful. I think if we would have had better possession, we would have slowed them down. I don't remember any good or bad plays from the midfield, which is bad.

Forwards - 6 - Okay, we probably had 5 or 6 really good chances, but other than that, the forwards didn't play that well.

Overall - 5.5 - Poor performance compared to Santos. I didn't expect much though. We did get to see most of the reserves which is good and I think they played okay.

Next up - Columbus @ RSL

No comments: